Extra Almonds and a Big Hug

As I read through the class responses to "Miss Brill" I found myself defending her every time somebody said that she didn't really have a life, or that her life is too routine and simplistic.  Josie's blog was about how unrealistic the story ending seemed, and I attempted to defended  how realistic the ending could be.

Very Fictional Fiction

When I read "Miss Brill," I felt like I understood exactly where she was coming from and why she behaved the way she did.  I think she is simply a lonely older woman who is trying to cope with her age and her lack of relationships.  She isn't a recluse, she certainly made efforts to go out into public and she is still a teacher, which means she is very much a part of society.  She has a second job to fill up spare time and distract herself from her anxiety.  I think the fantastical way she observes people seems like a creative way to pass the time.  I'm guilty of people-watching and thinking about what type of animal they remind me of.  I used to play that game at work all the time.  How else was I supposed to waste time as a hostess?

I'm also anxious about growing old.  It's so common to see elderly people who have lost contact with their families, have few to no friends, or never had children to depend on in their old age.  Miss Brill's character almost reminded me of myself if I never marry, have children, or build lasting relationships.  I don't want to be the sad old English teacher who students make fun of because I don't dress appropriately for my age.  Nobody wants to be that person, but there seem to be so many of them.  

At the end of the story I wanted to buy Miss Brill the entire cake with extra almonds and give her a big hug.