I Sigh My Lack of Brain...

"I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
And with old woes new wail my dear time's waste"

Who doesn't?  I'm only twenty and I'm already thinking about the things I should have done or should be doing.  I sigh my lack of brain for dating my high school boyfriend for two years.  I sought to make lots of money my senior year so I didn't participate in all of the graduation parties and farewells.  I'm in college now, and when I think about my old woes I wonder if how I'm behaving now will create new woes.  Should I make more time to spend with friends?  Should I bare down on myself harder to find more resume builders?

Now, I understand that Shakespeare's poem is about friendship.  He feels sad in the beginning, misses his deceased or possibly long-lost friendship, then he thinks on better times and remembers that it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

(Check out Karyssa's blog for "tis better to have loved and lost...".  Karyssa actually knew the author of that saying and I added a link to his bibliography.Absence Makes the Heart ... Sad.)

But sometimes, it's nice to take apart a poem and see how particular lines can relate to your own life hundreds of years later.  Ever try it?

Brooke Kuehn said:

Yes, its sad but true. I just turned 20 this year and i have many regrets. I already have regrets about the way i am living this year. ANyway this is just another one of those poems that brings out something we all have probably thought about one time or another, in this case, regret.

I think it's natural to have regrets, and that's why Shakespeare's poetry is still able to reach audiences today. He write about timeless struggles that everyone can relate to. I was reading through older SHU blogs, and I found this one which discusses how relatable Shakespeare's work is, by Katherine Lambert.