Bravery

"I am the only colored student in my class"

Bravery.  That is the first word that comes to my mind when I read this line.  I spoke about this topic in class today, so I may as well blog a little about it.  I'm embarrassed to say when I was researching colleges and I came across a predominately black school, I never even gave it a chance.  It didn't matter what type of classes they offered or how great the school sounded -- I automatically felt like I wouldn't fit in, so I didn't research any farther.  I think everyone in class has been pounded on the head with diversity lessons since we were young, and this year's election definitely brought race to the forefront of conversation and debate.  Honestly, I get sick of hearing about it.  At first I just want everyone to get over it, but then I notice myself stereotyping and I realize that every conversation our country has about race and diversity brings us closer to understanding. 

I have the same reaction, Carissa. I get tired of hearing about perceived differences in race and discrimination, because, frankly, I don't feel like I discriminate. But, as you correctly point out, we all do on some level. And you weren't wrong, if you went to a predominately African American school, you wouldn't "fit in" the same way to would in a predominately white school. There *are* differences between races, but a lot of the time the root of the difference is not innately racial. There are different factors, like economic status, education, age, etc.