« Sharon Hamilton is just plain uber. | Main | A chilling tale. . . »

Confuzzled

O'Connor, ''The River'' -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"Bevel didn't see him at all. He only saw the river, shimmereng reddish yellow, and bounded into it with his shoes and his coat on and took a gulp."

Oi. I hated the fact that Bevel was being called Harry and vice versa. It really confused me as to why Flannery O'Connor did that. But putting that aside, I agree with Jennifer that there was a true connection between Bevel / Harry and Mr. Paradise. It was kind of cool how O'Connor kept pulling off the quick switch from one character to the other, only to keep us on our toes. I think she did this so that we purposely got them mixed up and thought of them as one in the same.

Perhaps Bevel and Mr. Paradise were two different characters all along, but once they entered the river, they became one?

I can see that too. I was at times lost with the characters names too, but knew there had to be some reasoning behind the names. I think your explanation makes sense and is very interest.