19 _______84

1. "Was he, then, alone in the possession of memory" (Orwell 52)
2. "Its a beautiful thing, the destruction of words. " (Orwell 45)
3. "When there were no external records that you could refer to, even the outline of your own life lost its sharpness" (Orwell 30)

These quotes, along with the 93182 million other ones, all can relate back to the power of text, not only as a power of communication, but also of memory and unity, as well as individualism (Think of the passages by Ong and so forth). In fact, this whole book is an argument against Socrates and the power of oral culture. Although Socrates dwelled in a more open intellectual environment, his support of oral culture is whip lashed in 1984.  The first quote reveals Winston's ability to recall events that occurred but were now being altered to fit the Big Brother propaganda. Winston's analytical and skeptical approach to the totalitarian government can partially be attributed to his interest in books (Again think of the various passages from WM). Second quote is perhaps one of the benchmarks of the entire novel (It screams Orwell!). The government is revising text, and as such, revising thought. Grammatical principles are applied as not only system of unifying thought, but it also allows its author to express oneself in a detailed and concise manner. To remove the adjectives and so forth is to remove the spice/flavor/ pudding?. Emotions become seen either as black or white. But this is the purpose of big brother, to remove complex emotions and create a new, robotic being the exists to help perpetuate the dominance of its governments superpower. The diary of Winston directly rejects these principles, as he is constantly conveying inner emotions using a vocabulary far greater than prospective future of Big Brother.  Third quote: Ok i think ive said enough,so... to all my millions of fans, your assignment is to look at the third quote, buy me lunch, and then tell me why the quote is important. Thanks

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL336/2008/orwell_selection.php

Jeremy Barrick said:

This whole thing with language, is it to distract us from what is really happening, or is it reality? Showing us that restrictions can be made positive. Obviously Stanley used language and body language as a way to communicate to others who thunk like him.

Daniella Choynowski said:

I should have used 1984 in my paper. It's scary to think of memory as fallible.

and the last quote means that when you have nothing to back up what you remember, you start to question as to if it actually happened. You start questioning yourself, and since no one else remembers, you assume that you are the one who is wrong.

Daniella Choynowski said:

the last quote means that when there is nothing to back up what you remember, you start to question if it really happened. If no one else remembers it, then you must be the one who is wrong. It is more likely, you think, for one person to be wrong than an entire government. After all, the people who run the government are the smartest people in the country, right?

Stormy Knight said:

David,

I sent an e-mail to your school address. I hope I got it right, I just typed in your name since I didn't know the numbers in your e-mail address and that usually works for me. Let me know if you got it! Thanks!