Connections

From Catherine Belsey’s “Literature, History, Politics” in Donald Keesey’s Contexts for Criticism:

“The intertextual relations of the text are never purely literary.  Fiction draws not only on other fiction but on the know ledges of its period, discourses in circulation which are themselves sites of power and the contest for power “(433).

I really enjoyed the connections that this essay made between literature, politics, and history, because I have felt that all of these subjects were so closely related that they are barely separable.   I also really like that this article talks about a variety of schools of criticism that we have already discussed, including intertextuality.   This article has really helped me to focus my approach for my final research essay because I had wanted to include intertexuality and politics, but was unsure how to combine the two.  Now, however, I see that they can be incorporated together and that political structure can apply to books that are within the same genre, etc., effectively.

See what others have to say about Belsey's essay.  

Bethany Merryman said:

I also enjoyed all the connections that Belsey made throughout the essay, and would like to point out Jenna's blog for you as well. She also talks about intertextuality and how Belsey incorporates it into the essay combining the two schools of criticism together.