Text Standardization, but What Does It Mean?

As I explored the Kindle as well as the websites for the other eBook readers, I noticed that they all seemed to have the same, generic text in their advertisements.  I don’t mean they all said the same thing, I mean the typeface itself was identical or similar for all three readers that I have been discussing.  To explore this a bit more, I returned to the Kindle viewer for the PC. 

What I found was surprising, but I understand why it occurs.  I found that the text of each book usually became the same typeface.  This standardization allows for easy transfer, but part of the experience could be lost because of this.  More disquieting, however, was the fact that when font sizes were changed by those who format the text before it is received, words from one page will move onto another, making words and the pictures that are supposed to accompany them on separate pages.  When children’s literature, or any literature with pictures, is considered, this is not only annoying, but also detrimental to allowing for (especially in the case of children) the display of appropriate meanings. 

Yes, having clearly printed and readable text as the advertisements for all three of these readers suggests is really great, but what happens when the author wants a certain typeface that is not compatible with the readers?  And, what happens when the reader needs to increase the text size, forcing some of the text onto another blank page when what the text is describing is on the page before.  Standardization and the ability to increase text size are valuable, but not at the expense of manipulating the pictures and pages of the book.

Read more.