« Eagleton "What is Literature?" | Main | "Tradition and Individual Talent" »

January 29, 2007

"These are the terms, Buddy..."

“The last quatrain gives an image, a feeling attaching to an image, which "came," which did not develop simply out of what precedes, but which was probably in suspension in the poet's mind until the proper combination arrived for it to add itself to. The poet's mind is in fact a receptacle for seizing and storing up numberless feelings, phrases, images, which remain there until all the particles which can unite to form a new compound are present together.”
Here’s a least one term I looked up: Quatrain. This term interested me because I was reading about it the other day in Intro to Poetry. To understand it, if you look at the “qua” part, you may recognize that it has to do with 4, as in quadruplets. The actual definition of quatrain I looked up in the Bedford glossary is this: a stanza containing four lines. I learned that the quatrain is the most common form used in English-language poetry. I also learned that some examples are in Alfred Lord Tennyson’s elegy for Arthur Henry Hallam and in William Blake’s “Infant” sorrow. In my poetry class I’m now noticing more quatrains as a result. The word caught my eye as I read Eliot’s “Tradition and the Individual Talent.”

Posted by ErinWaite at January 29, 2007 10:42 AM

Remember sonnets? 3 quatrains and a couplet = 14 lines. You've got it, Erin. I like that you blended your poetry course into your interests for our class. That'll be interesting to watch as the semester goes on.

Posted by: Karissa at January 29, 2007 1:54 PM

Thanks. I enjoyed your posts too and commented on alot of them. Poetry is my true passion so you'll be hearing more of my thoughts on that.

Posted by: Erin at January 29, 2007 3:47 PM