Misfit

"No pleasure but meanness" ("A Good Man is Hard to Find" P. 21).  In a way, Misfit represents Satan.  All the signs are there.  He drives a hearse, which smybolizes the coming of death.  His scolarly look betrays his true intentions.  Satan does the exact same thing.  The bible says that he masks himself as angel of light in order to trick people to do his bidding.  Also, Misfit and Satan take the same pleasure out of making people suffer.

Click here

I agree with your comment and I didn't really think to compare him to Satan. Sure, I thought he was a bad person, but I liked how you said that Satan disguised himself, like the Misfit did. By acting like a concerned person, he at first gains a little trust and then has the family killed.

That is an interesting point. I never connected the Misfit to Satan, but it does seem to fit. What I don't understand is how the Misfit says "No pleasure but meanness," and in the end, his friend says "'Some fun!'" after killing the family and the Misfit responds "'It's no real pleasure in life (pg 22)." Is he contradicting himself or did he lie? If he lied, when did he lie, the first time or second?