A Brief Explanation of CSS

No, I'm not talking about Counter-Strike: Source!  I'm talkin' about CSS the code format, people!  But does CSS stand for? I hope you're prepared, because I'm about to tell you. *Drum roll* CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets!  Is your mind sufficiently blown now?  I realize such a shocking revelation might caused some mental distress for my readers, but we must forge ahead.  So, the Style Sheets part should be easy to  understand, but how does the word cascading fit into these style sheets?  Don't worry, your questions will be answered soon enough.

The reason why coders call CSS "Cascading Style Sheets" is because of the code is built.  Moreover, these style sheets function through a set of cascading instructions.  Here is an example: font: {X;X;X}.  As you can see, each instruction follows the instruction before it.  Hence, we use the term "cascading" to describe the hierarchical nature of the code. In other words, think of it as building in reverse.  The first instruction is the top, and thus takes priority.  Meanwhile, the rest of the instructions slide in to support or amplify the first instruction.  Really, it's not too dissimilar from HTML; the only difference is there are less variables to worry about.  I hope you took extra good notes on this subject because I'm might surprise with a pop quiz next week!  Well, actually I lied; I have no power to enforce more quizzes on you, but if I did...(mwhahaa! mwhaha!)