Hey, What Are Those Symbols Next to The Punch Button?

Author's note: This entry is from 1up blog.  It's an old entry, but I believe you'll get some enjoyment out of it!

My admiration of the Street Fighter brand continued on to the Playstation.  By the time I knew that street fighter games did exist other consoles besides the Genesis, the limelight had already faded on the first Alpha game.  When I saw the Street Alpha 2 at a Best Buy, I immediatly picked it up in the hopes that I could extract from Alpha 2 the same amount of enjoyment I got out of Super Street Fighter.  Alpha 2 not only met my expectations, but it exceeded them.

My enjoyment of Alpha 2 was derived from three important factors: first off, it was pretty.  When I first booted up Alpha 2 I was surprised how beautiful it was.  Now, before you running off and rag on my low graphical strandards, you have to understand that I had little exposure to fully 3-D games.  To put things in prospective, my first two playstation games (bought on the same day) were Rayman and Tekken 1.  Rayman was the typical 2-D platformer I had grown up with and Tekken was glorfied 2-D fighter with a z-axis molded onto the character models.  In comparsion to SSF, Alpha 2 had smoother animation and faster gameplay than SSF.  Moreover, Alpha 2 also impressed me with its music.  Its awesome butt rock soundtrack (complete with cheesy jazz riffs) made me a big fan of this installment.  My third reason for loving Alpha 2 was that it was easy to pick up and play.  Back then, I had a different mindset about fighters than I do today.  In my younger days, I considered fighters to be much akin to brawlers.  In other words, I thought that fighters were the kind of games where you mashed some buttons and pulled some cheap, easy thrills out the experience.  Furthermore, these three aforementioned principles were my main criteria for evaluating any fighting game.  But something was amiss.  When I got around to playing Alpha 3, it certainly met my criteria, but I had grown sick of fighters and my inability to comprehend their complex move sets.  So, I quit playing fighting games for awhile.

This boycott lasted until the summer of 2006.  To set the scene, I had just started my Xbox live gold membership, and I was looking for games to download.  I had heard that Hyper Fighting was was available for download, so decided to get it.  After I purschased it, I said to myself, "maybe this time I'll finally understand Street Fighter," but I had lingering doubts.  If I couldn't decipher the commands of the pervious Street Fighters, how would I have any hope of performing these combanations?  Reluctently, I sat down and stared at the move set.  It was like looking at the SSF game guide for the first time; I was utterly confused and bewildered by the strange arrangement of symbols preceeding the punch/kick buttons.  Then, an idea popped into head: "what if I twirled the stick in circular motion that corresponed with the arrows?"  BAM!  Hadouken!  This revelation was so great that it felt like the heavens had split open and God was personally feeding me the mana of knowledge.  You see, I had always known movement in video games to work in staggred, single motions.  When I preformed my first fireball, that notion was destroyed.  It was at this moment that I understood Street Fighter's awesomeness in a meaniful ways.  Since then, I have learned much about the ways of fighting games, but I will always remember my first teacher of the ways of the digital fist.  Thank you, Street Fighter.  *holds up lighter in honor*