Understanding Computer Language Part I

By now, I think most of us have forgotten about MS DOS.  Really, who has time to type in long strings of commands when a simple click of the mouse will take you anywhere you need to go?  The simplicity of one click searches has made finding vital information easy. However, consumer-friendliness is not trait inherent to coding (HTML or otherwise).  So, in an effort to make HTML less frustrating for the user, Castro has stripped any detailed explanation of HTML code.  Its problem I noticed when she did not elaborate on the pixel height and width she recommended.  Perhaps a little (more) schooling on coding language will help.

First off, imagine your hard-drive is a gigantic file cabinet.  Now imagine your trying to find something in that huge of mass of files.  Sounds pretty daunting, eh?  Don't worry, the computer will find the file for you.  In fact, it will find the file faster than you ever could!  Yes, I know the truth hurts, but the computer only trying to help!  However, our digital friend can only find and run things with precise instructions.  Again, the key word in that last sentence is "instructions".  A PC doesn't understand inferences.  In other words, a person cannot type in "Dancing Stars" and get the image to turn up on their website.  The computer is not stupid (regardless of your personal beliefs), it just operates on a different language.  Computers need commands like "href" and "img src" to reference and synchronize the image you requested to the website.  Of course, don't forget the equal sign!  Moreover, the equal sign gives the computer a path to which it will use to find the jpeg.  I hope this short description will help my classmates in better understanding HTML.  Check back for more blogs on the HTML process.