Even Money Can't Save You This Time!

Creepy story lol. I've read this before but I never really thought about how money was so important in this story. I think even his name Prospero reminds me of wealth, prosperity, high class. Yet, this time all this wealth couldn't stop death from coming. Also, I think it was interesting that no matter how long these rich folks tried to avoid the plague, this thing got to both rich and poor. Money was not an issue for the Plague. I think Prospero made a mockery out of the whole situation by throwing a party when people were dying. When he says, "Who dares insult us with this blasphemous mockery? Seize him and unmask him--that we may know whom we have to hang, at sunrise, from the battlements!" (359). I think its hilarious that HE thinks this guy is making a mockery and committing blasphemy when he's throwing a party while people are dying. This Prospero is an idiot, for real.

Death doesn't discriminate. And I didn't think of this.

Melissa Schwenk said:

I think that's the best part of the whole story, the fact that Prince Prospero thinks he can stop the Red Death from getting him, too. It makes the whole story ironic. I wouldn't say that Prospero was necessarily an idiot though since he was probably suffering from the effects of the disease and wasn't thinking quite clearly. Plus, you have to think if you were suffering from some terrible disease that you would probably try anything and everything you could to beat it. Oh, and great catch about the money thing. I hadn't even thought of that.

I don't think that Prospero was initially suffering from the effects of the disease, unless you mean paranoia and fear. There's no sign that he was infected with the "red death" before he, well, dies.
Glady's, great catch about the money. Aja, good way to put it, "Death doesn't discriminate." I think Glady's makes a good point when she says that Prospero is actually making a mockery out of the disease. When he calls for the stranger to be caught so they can kill him and then dies...You've gotta love the irony.

Melissa Schwenk said:

Josie, good point. Allow me to mend my previous statement to say: to protect yourself from getting a horrible disease, you're probably going to do pretty much anything.

Gladys Mares said:

Melissa, I don't think I totally agree. I don't think he cared about the disease at all. I think he was totally arrogant and thought the disease could never reach him. His money and status were like barriers, so he thought. Your both right though, this is totally ironic.

Kayla Lesko said:

Your link made me LOL.

I don't think Prospero was a total idiot. When he first sees the Red Death "he was seen to be convulsed, in the first moment with a strong shudder either of terror or distaste; but in the next, his brow reddened with rage" (359). It seems that Prospero sort of knew what it was, but he had to keep the facade of being in control.

Gladys Mares said:

Kayla I get what your saying. Yet, I still think he's bad. I think that even after realizing what it might be, his pride still kept him feeling above everything... Even death. I really disliked the arrogance of his character and the bad decisions he makes. I still think he's an idiot ;-)