The LAPD Might Not Be So Bad...

I normally read the Los Angeles Times, so I thought it would be a good place to start. I found an editorial that was written by William J. Bratton who is the chief of the Los Angeles Police Department. For those of us that live in the area, we know the LAPD can be a bit harsh, to say the least. I thought it would be interesting to hear what they had to say about such a controversial subject such as immigration. One quote that really stood out was,

"We must pass immigration reform and bring our neighbors out of the shadows so they get the police service they need and deserve."

Many law enforcement agencies, especially in Orange Country, tend to intimidate illegal immigrants, therefore making it hard for them to come to the police, even when they have witnessed or been victims of crimes. He feels that the police should stick to enforcing the law and protecting the community, while Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement and ICE can do their job at enforcing their policies.

Bratton did a great job at presenting convincing evidence to support his argument. He never attacked the opposing side but it was clear where he stood. I kind of wish I read something where I didn't totally agree with the author because I think I'm being really biased. lol. Overall, very interesting subject.

Class Site

Dave said:

Well, I'm slightly disappointed...with the disclaimer I was expecting to be able to argue with you. Unfortunately, this argument is just far too rational, and I tend to agree. While I have no problem deporting illegal immigrants who are arrested for commiting crimes, any who are reporting crimes, especially if they are willing to testify, should be granted immunity for performing that service.
They grant far greater leiniency to other people who have commited a crime, but are willing to testify against far more dangerous criminals. Members of organized crime frequently cut deals to get charges dropped in return for testimony. Typically for minor crimes they don't even charge you if you're testifying in a more important one.
No one gets a jaywalking ticket when it comes out in trial that they were standing in the middle of the street while observing the defendants flee from the bank, while shooting bystanders, kicking puppies, and driving off without using their turn signal.

Gladys Mares said:

Sorry Dave! lol

Yeah I was misled too when I started the article because I thought I would be arguing with my computer screen. Instead I found myself agreeing with the author and I secretly wished he might have said something that would of upset me--just for the sake of arguing lol. I get what you mean, why punish people for helping our community?