Like Mother, Like Daughter

From Flannery O’Connor’s short story, “Good Country People”:

“Mrs. Hopewell would say ‘If you can’t come pleasantly, I don’t want you at all’? to which the girl…would reply, ‘If you want me, here I am—LIKE I AM’” (O'Connor 171).

Poor, confused Hulga and Mrs. Hopewell.  Mrs. Hopewell thinks she is so nice and polite.  Yet, when it really comes down to it she looks down on everyone.  Hulga, on the other hand, with all her degrees, think she has the world figured out—there is no God.  Yet, when Hulga finds out the Bible salesman is not a Christian, she becomes very afraid.  It would seem Hulga is not quite as atheistic as she claims, just like Mrs. Hopewell is not as kind as she thinks.  Like mother, like daughter, both are deluded in their own ways.  The question is, which one is more so?

Maddie Gillespie said:

You make quite an interesting point in this here blog. I completely agree with you that both are deluded in their own sense. Both believe that they've got everything figured out, there can be no surprises for a woman who forgives the faults of others and for a daughter who has so much knowledge, that she's learned the great inner workings of the world. To answer your question though...that's a whole 'nother story. I suppose it would all come down to a specific situation or point in their lives to truly show who is more deluded or lacks the conviction to hold to their thoughts.