Dude! What's mine say? Sweet!, What's mine say? Dude!

I find that this section makes me believe Foster may be on to something.  "equate physical deformity with character or moral deformity" (194).  While I tend to disagree with that, so does Foster!  Two paragraphs later he says "we continue to understand physical imperfection in symbolic terms" (194).  
This I follow because thinking about most of the main characters from books I've read, each has something that makes them different from everyone else.  Cassandra Palmer has a huge tattoo on her back, Mercy is a changling - not a werewolf or other mystic creature, Harry Potter has a scar, Bella is clumsy, Edward is too beautiful, Lyra is just a child, Luke Skywalker is missing one hand (yes he is born with a real one, but he does lose one).  All great characters are either born with something that makes then unique, or they develop it.  Whether it's something that can be seen in a positive light or a negative light, they still have some specific trait that makes them stand out from every other character in the books.  
I also liked this line, "we don't get through life without being marked by the experience" (198). I found it to be very true.  This is why not only fictional characters have marks, but so do people we see every day.  

"introduce it early, before you need it" (205) struck me as important.  Why does the author give details that seem meaningless?  Really, they aren't meaningless, they just might appear so upon a first read.  It almost always takes me two reads to really pick up on the details that seemed insignificant before, but after knowing what happens in the end, they play a bigger role.

Katie Lantz said:

First off, I enjoyed the reference. Love that movie!

Secondly,agree that it is important for authors to put in unique things about characters. There are many times when I will refer to characters as "that clumsy girl" or "the one without a leg" or something of that sort to help myself remember who I am talking about.

Jessica Pierce said:

Your entry really is thought provoking. Good reference to "Dude, Where's My Car." :) Your line about not being able to come out unmarked is definitely applicable to everyone. The scars are real, stay with us, and are memorable.

Also, I blogged about "introducing it early." It really is important to give the details flat out, if we are to understand them. Like you, I find myself re-reading to understand details. It would be great to understand fully with one read!