Heartache and Pollution

"Daisy has suffered from figurative bad air" (220) and "faithlessness, selfishness, cruelty" (212).

These are just two quotes from Foster on "It's Never Just Heart Disease... and Rarely Just Illness," Chapters 23 and 24.  Ultimately, I never thought about disease as a metaphor.  I either understand it's intention without really trying, or I don't see a metaphor there.  
I already read another blog before posting this, and she posted "can't I just get sick?!"  Really, that's what I feel here too.  I understand that we're exposing ourself to new methods of analysis, but this one has me guessing.  I really don't think much of health, and honestly, I probably won't even after reading this.

Just because illness in a story has metaphorical meaning doesn't mean that our own illnesses must or should have metaphorical meaning... in fact, stories that use scars or deformity or missing limbs to symbolize evil or failure are responsible for perpetuating a bias against people with disabilities. (Let's talk about this in class.)

Meagan Gemperlein said:

I think alot of the things Foster brings up can really only apply to literature. I agree, illness (in the context of every day life) doesn't have a metaphorical meaning. That same concept can be applied to everything else Foster says too. I mean, I got caught in the rain the other day and I didn't think to myself "Wow I'm soaking wet, I must be cleansed." No, I just thought "Well this sucks. I'm really wet."

Katie Lantz said:

Well, I always think of illness when talking about the "mentally ill" characters, like the author of the "Yellow Wallpaper."

We spent time debating on whether she was really sick or if she was simply going crazy. Also, we discussed how others treated her illness. Was her illness a metaphor for something, or was it really a literary convention?

I think it's worth looking into.