Humor and Edge

Mailloux put into words what I could not, "Tom Sawyer's mind is indelibly marked by the romantic adventure stories he admires and them self-consciously imitates throughout the story" (43).  I finally felt like I was seeing what I thought!  Then he makes the statement about Huck being "intimidated by Tom's superior knowledge" (43) and I was little upset.  I never really thought Huck was intimidated, he just didn't know any better - according to Tom.  I think if Huck was intimidated, he wouldn't have offered more than one suggestion, ever.  It seems more like Huck is confused and discouraged rather than intimidated.  

This entire section of reading was really informative though.  Learning the story received "high praise for its realism and humor" (47) was kind of redundant, but also reinforcing.  It's always reassuring to see something that is lingering in the back of your mind said elsewhere.  
Huck is a very realistic character, everyone can relate to some aspect of him, if not his entire character, because he is so universal.  Mailloux makes it a point to highlight the positive effects of the book being considered a "bad-boy" book, which also highlights all the attributes of Huck that the reader has already come to know and love.

Jeremy Barrick said:

Yes, most young men tend to want the bad boy attitude because of the realistic basis of characters.

Jennifer Prex said:

I don't think Huck was intimidated either. I think it was more so a matter of his confusion, as you stated, over why the ridiculously difficult and round about ways were considered better and his own tendency to look up to Tom.