We don't need no, education

"I had been to school most all the time, and could spell, and read, and write just a little, and could say the multiplication table up to six times seven is thirty-five, and I don't reckon I could ever get any further than that if I was to live forever" (Twain, 82).

If this isn't any implication of what level of education our narrator, Huck, is at, then I don't know what is.  I found this quote entertaining as I read it because I actually had to think for a split second what six times seven was after I had read that.
Knowing the education level of the characters let's the reader know what they're dealing with in this story.  Obviously we aren't reading Melville at this point.  Twain's language is designed for the times that he is writing about, making Huck so likeable.  

The education may not be playing the biggest part with this story though, because we know Huck can be very street savvy when he wants to be.  For example, cutting through the house his dad was locking him up him (96).  Huck may not know his multiplication tables, but who needs those when you know how to break out of a house?

KatieLantz said:

I think Twain was making Huck more "down to earth" and relatable to the common people. Around the Mississippi river, there were few educated people, and Twain wanted to make sure everyone else out there knew so.

I do agree that Huck was very smart in his own way. Street skills are definitely more practical for him.