Meaning of Reading

How to Read Literature Like a Professor
"All this resembling other literature is all well and good, but what does it mean for our reading?" (Foster 33)

This question that Foster looks into really hit home with me.  Many people talk about the books that they read and how they relate to others.  I never understood what it meant for reading.  Foster says that once we recognize elements from different texts then we start making comparisons between the two texts.  This allows us to make assumptions about characters, places, and events in books.  It gives us a better idea of what is happening in books and why things are happening.  Foster uses the example of Cacciato.  The squad in the books falls into a hole that recalls Alice in the Wonderland.  The hole isn't going to be terrifying and horrible, it is going to be wonderful.  We can assume that because of the relation between the two.   This is a great key that helps readers understand what they are reading.

I really love how Foster mentioned this because I have a lot of trouble relating two works. I guess I just never really think to relate them because I look at each individual story.

Also, about Alice.... I thought it was terrifying for years! I think maybe Cacciato was also alluding to the fact that this trip is going to be "dreamlike" just like Alice's trip to Wonderland was.