« Word Play | Main | Different Kinds of Faith »

Temporary Longing

"'Other friends have flown before -- On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before.'"
~lines 58-59 of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven"

I've encountered this poem many times before in other classes and even in a Simpsons episode. The detail that stuck out to me this time around was that it almost seems as if the narrator initially wants the raven to stay. This surprised me because I had always remembered the narrator more or less going insane with rage towards the raven because it wouldn't leave--which he does later. In this particular passage, however, the raven is juxtaposed with the narrator's friends and hopes that have "flown" before. This is actually a pleasant reference to the raven. This, of course, doesn't really last very long, but it is there.

Other Thoughts on Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven"

I also thought that this was interesting. Maybe Poe is trying to suggest the positive qualities of the Raven?

It's not too far-fetched.

This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on October 4, 2009 8:05 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Word Play.

The next post in this blog is Different Kinds of Faith.