Scarlet Letter 1-6

"O Father in Heaven,-If Thou art still my Father,-what is this being which I have brought into the world!"

Hester is overcome by guilt and shame at her actions, the child (Pearl) the result of them, is a constant reminder of her sin, (more so than the scarlet letter) and vile scourned reputation among the citizens of her home.

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL266/2009/09/hawthorne_sl1/ 

Jennifer Prex said:

It makes one wonder if Hester's occasional outlook on her child as an elf is due to this guilt of hers.

Gladys Mares said:

I agree with you that Pearl is a constant reminder of her sin, but do you think that Pearl might also be a gift for her? In chapter 6 when they go into detail about Pearl, Hawthorne says "God as a direct consequence of the sin which man thus punished, had given her a lovely child" (82). I think Pearl wasn't necessarily a burden.

JeredJohnston Author Profile Page said:

I see what you're saying. Maybe Hester's views toward her child paraellel the views that she is subject to from the community.

JeredJohnston Author Profile Page said: