Suffering In Silence

"More misery, Hester!-only the more misery!" answered the clergyman, with a bitter smile. (Hawthorne 175)

Rev. Dimmesdale feels that the people's reverence of him, and their trust in him is more a punishment than a comfort.  He readily acknowledes his sin and feels tremendous guilt in regard to it and when the people of his congregation refer to him as saintly and holy it disturbs him even more because he must continue on with his lie.  Even when he tells them that no, he is not holy and that he is wicked they see it as being yet another act of humility on his part rather than as the confession of a sinner and thus causes him to suffer all the more.

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/EL266/2009/09/hawthorne_the_s_2/

Dave said:

Yeah, he does tend to do a lot of suffering, then again, from what I've gathered, its all he's really good at. I'm honestly starting to think he may be something of a masochist.

JeredJohnston Author Profile Page said:

I appreciate the over-all theme of the story and the language itself is wondeful but as far as story goes I have to admit I was expecting more. There's alot of over-emphasis on their guilt and shame but no real appeal. I'm kinda disappointed I have to say.