« Amsterdam in the 17th Century: Ch. 9 EL200 | Main | I Choose A & B! EL227 Ch. 5 & 6 »

EL227: The Official Meeting of President Boyle

I had learned alot this afternoon. I am still wiping the sweat off my brow. That was an exciting moment in my life. I now realize how hard it is to work up the courage to ask important, high brow people questions. I am glad that I spoke up and asked President Boyle what I had, off the top of my head. Anxiety rushed through my veins as my heart began to beat abnormally, I raised my hand in anticipation of asking a question I had hoped Boyle would not find obnoxious. Boyle is a powerful woman! I anticipate more activities like this in the future. I feel that it better prepares you for what's out in the world. Real life! And yes, I would love to have a radio station at Seton Hill University. I would spend every waking moment at the station. I vote "Yes"

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt-akdfh_tb.cgi/10742

I, too, would like to see Seton Hill's NMJ program expand to include media like radio. However, the resources required to make that happen are phenomenal, especially considering the fact that there are sometimes barely enough resources to keep the student newspaper healthy (sometimes things can get a little hectic in the office as deadlines loom :P).

In truth, expanding to include radio and other media might attract more students to the journalism major (those who would prefer to do something other than print), but there would be a risk that one medium would rise to consume the majority of the interest and the other media would starve to death. I really don't want to see that happen; I love the Setonian (even if I don't get to contribute to it often anymore).

I would also love to do radio braodcasts, but alsa, we will probably not have the resources available until way after the Arts center goes up (that, right now, seems to be the school's first priority). Dr Boyle is obviously an experience speaker and carefully chose her words so that she would not offend anybody.

I think a that radio broadcasting is an excellent idea. While I am personally not interested in being involved in the broadcasting process (I'm an English Lit. major who likes to stick to her books), I would enjoy listening to a radio station broadcast by seton hill students. I remember, one of my first complaints when I started attending shu last year was over the fact that, at least in my opinion, the radio stations are slightly pathetic here (I'm an out-of-stater). If seton hill ran a station, however, I'd be sorely tempted to end my boycott of the pittsburgh area radio stations available to us right now.