« EL-336 Response to Kindle | Main | EL 200 TSNSG Chapter 2 Recruiting and Training Your Staff »

EL 200 TSNSG Chapter 1 The Role of the Student Press

The Community Forum
"Seniors and commuters may be so wrapped up in their majors and schoolwork that they're unaware of what's happening on the rest of the campus." (p.5)
That sentence sums up my college life. I am a commuter so I have no clue what's going on on campus. I do like to be informed of upcoming events that are scheduled or situations and or occurrences at SHU. The Setonian has done the job of that. The campus newspaper does report on such things with a blotter section (one of my favorites), sports, entertainment, and events. I feel that the Setonian does affect students off and on campus. It has a wide range. The paper, in my opinion, unifies students and faculty alike.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/14168

The blotter's one of my favorite, especially when you can pretty much tell who the culprits are. I'm more excited for my own column, because I have free reign to a point, in that I can choose my subject matter instead of being assigned an article. I do believe I put out better writing when I find the subject matter interesting. But then again, a journalist's job is to make the mundane interesting. I thinkwe earn our own columns by proving that we can make any material seem important.

I think the server lost my first comment.

The blotter is one of my favorites also, especially when you can pretty much tell who the culprits are. I'm more excited for my own article, because I have some sort of control. I can choose my (appropriate) subject matter instead of waitng to be assigned an article. I think I produce better writing when I find my subject matter interesting. Then again, a journalist's job is to make any subject matter seem important. I believe we earn our own articles by proving that we can make any article assigned to us interesting.

Dani,

You're right, I did choose to give you a column because you have a strong personal voice.

More importantly though, you've been a very dedicated staff member. You submit things on time, you communicate well, and you have a genuine interest in the paper's well being.

Just remember that a column is a direct reflection of yourself -- but don't make it too personal. It's easy to write a whine; just make sure your points are supported (not directed toward you personally, just a reminder in general).

I look forward to reading your columns this semester. :)

Good points, Stormy. Any column or editorial should argue for a solution, rather than just complain about a problem. But instead of "Problem: Parking is bad. Solution: There should be more parking," an editorial should actually investigate: "Problem: Parking is bad; Solution: Building a new parking garage will cost $250/student, according to Arthur Authority. Solution: Double the price of on-campus parking stickers, and put the extra money in savings towards a new parking garage to be built in 5 years, and also use work-study criminology students to ticket cars parked in the wrong places; meanwhile, to ease the parking crunch, ban freshmen residents from parking cars anywhere but D lot." I don't mean to advocate for that position, which I just pulled out of the air, but it's an example of a specific solution.