« EL 200 TSNSG Chapter 1 The Role of the Student Press | Main | EL 200 Chapter 3: TSNSG. Covering a Campus. »

EL 200 TSNSG Chapter 2 Recruiting and Training Your Staff

Diversity Training

"Is it appropriate for a female reporter to shake hands with an Orthodox Jewish man? Will a person who uses a wheelchair be offended if you stand during an interview? Should you refer to a transgender person as he or she-or is there a preferable term?" (p.14)

I can relate to this topic because I am one of "those", different from the normal, conservative characters of journalism. I enjoy being free with my writing, my tattoos, and non-conformity, but that, on the other hand, makes me different from the rest. Diversifying myself would get me interested in many more subjects, to write on. I would love to have the opportunity of shaking the hand of the president of SHU Dr. JoAnne Boyle with all of my tattoos in the photo. That would be a major contrast. I can see the headlines now " The Queen and Her Peasants Unite"
That is the great thing about writers and journalists, there is no standard on how one should look or act. It is the writing that counts.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/14169

I love how you mix humor with intelligent points, Jeremy.Who can really say who is normal and who isn't? Personally, I feel more nervous around conservative people because I start thinking about how and how not to speak to them. You have to keep yourself in check. There are certain people you can speak to one way, and certain people you can speak to another way. Interviews with fellow students typically run more casual for me than interviews with adults. I think I know my professors pretty well, but there is still something slightly intimidating about interviewing an authority figure.