« EL 200: EOJ Chapter 3; Producing a multimedia package | Main | EL 200: Portfolio 1 »

EL 200: Comphrensive Reading Reflection Blog Entry

Students of EL 200 are encouraged to read The Student Newspaper Survival Guide by Rachele Kanigel. The text, in my opinion, holds a bit of the obvious. What I mean by that is, on page 5, section: The Chronicle of Campus Life reads “A student newspaper should be able to understand and display all dimensions of a campus community, not just student life but the concerns of the university employees, faculty, administrators and staff.” If the Setonian focused solely on student life, the paper would be dull and boring. Of course a newspaper has to open its eyes up to all areas of a college life, even off campus. But, maybe, some students do not realize this.
I do think that it is an informative guide for students who may not know or want to further their careers in the journalism field. In some cases, a journalism student who does not know how to handle an interview may find this appealing, SNSG Chapter 2.
Being a commuter, I do not have a clue as to what is going on on campus, so Chapter 1 of SNSG was something that I had in common with the text. The section on The Role of the Student Press informed me that there is a lot more going on than I knew about, on campus. I just have to network myself and make contacts around campus.
SNSG taught me that a story gains strength throughout campus if it is good enough. Like Kanigel stated in Chapter 3 "If drinking is a major part of life on your campus you could even assign a reporter to an alcohol beat." Going undercover would be a great thing in order to get a story. Maybe get invited to a party, if alcohol is a problem on campus and observe what is going on around the party. Are people binge drinking? Or are they socially drinking underage? That may be a story worth involving yourself.
An obvious mention in SNSG would be located in Chapter 4, Reporting. Yes, it is a process. A reporter does have to multi task. Reporters are no longer needed if all they know is one particular aspect of journalism. So I did find this chapter to be a learning tool on the reporting process.
It always feels good to be a part of something. When a reporter asks an ordinary civilian for a quote, it makes them feel established. Like they have the right to brag to their friends and family that they helped create a newspaper article. Average civilians also feel like they know about journalism when asked to be involved somehow. Chapter 5 of SNSG validate this comment.
I never thought this would have mention in any journalism guide, but it does. Sex is a risque subject that many people shy away from . I have tried blogging about it, in a formal manner, but it failed because of the subject content. Many people misconstrue facts about sex, they think of it more as prevision than anything else. Chapter 6 of Kanigel's guide, The Lifestyle Pages made me feel good that I attempted to blog about sex and what men go through as opposed to women. If it is written in a tasteful way, the reader should not be uphauled by the content.
As I have attempted most facets of journalism, the one I would like to try most is sports reporting. Sports reporting is much like anything else. Write a good story and they will come. Chapter 7 of SNSG dedicated itself to sports reporting. All areas of it were covered in the text. This would prove to be a valuable learning tool for students who write for the Setonian sports section.
Chapter 8 of SNSG was important to me because I liked to be informed about a band coming to town or a new movie that is out in the theaters. I do not want to do this type of arts and entertainment journalism, but I liked reading over it to see what the author had to say about it.
Chapter 9 of SNSG was both realistic and frightening for me. Opinions are something that I have many of. I tend not to say them aloud due to their adverse effects. The paragraph I read on the New York times firing a reporter because he fabricated and plagiarized a story really made me think of how disciplined the world of journalism really is. Why would someone make up a story to get published? And with that, why would they lie about it? Do they not think that anyone would notice?
The other text recommended for EL 200 is The Elements of Online Journalism by Rey G. Rosales, Ph.D. The text, in my opinion, was very informative and helpful, considering that I just took over as the editor of the online edition of the Setonian. Chapter 2 was most vital to me. This chapter, basically, told me what to put in the online version. I sort of had a clue, but this really made claim to it. Chapters 1 and 3 were disinteresting to me. Chapter 3 was more "show" so I really could not make any comments on it that would be helpful. Chapter 1 discussed how the media is drawn towards teenagers that prefer to communicate and shop online. I really did not relate because it did not deal directly deal with online journalism. It dealt with more of the business aspect of the media.
By reading the following chapters in The Student Newspaper Survival Guide and The Elements of Online Journalism, I felt that some of it was common knowledge while the others were learning tools for amateur journalists.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/14383