« EL 405 Interactive Fiction Games | Main | EL 200 About Self »

EL 200 How to Use Tags in the Blogging Process

When I was first asked to "tag" blog entries, I thought to myself, what the heck are those? Blogging, for me, was a culture shock. Before entering Seton Hill University (SHU), I had no clue what one was. Almost three years later, I have developed a bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). I knew that I was entering the digital age. Sending letters through the mail, talking on home phones, and watching standard analog televisions were becoming obsolete. Now tagging? How futuristic!
To define a tag, I would say that they are key words that organize ones entries. Tags categorize to make it easier for oneself or any one else to look up an entry.
In the old days, before the digital frenzy of today, people used file cabinets. File cabinets keep files in them. Usually the files lie in manila folders with a tag on them, describing what is in them. For instance, a folder stating "Medical Appointments" would obviously have a person's medical appointments in them. It is sort of standard procedure to use tags in the instances of storing files on a computer or in the blogging process. It helps.
The last issue that was put online are currently all tagged. What I did was read through each one. I found key words that might interest the reader, and then I put those words in the "tags" section.
The Setonian Online is a digital copy of the Setonian paper version. The reason tags were used was due to the fact that SHU has a voice off the campus as well as on. The Setonian utilizes advertising as a way to fund the paper, and also as a way of making contacts and getting a business' name around. So it is important to use tags while keeping the content, writers, and dates current. It is much simpler to use tags to locate an entry online rather than scrolling through each piece. An example of this can be found on the current version of the Setonian Online.
Hopefully this will give you an understanding of how "tagging" works. Just think of the process as cleaning house. At first you have all this clutter lying around. You begin cleaning, putting everything in its perspective place, by the time you finish, you will have everything in its own little section. The next time you go to look for it, it will be where you labeled (tagged) it.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/14314