« EL 266 Portfolio two: Literature takes a twist | Main | EL 266 final chapters of AHF-Leave it to Tom »

EL 266 AHF Ch. 11-35 Jim ain't got no friend

"'Pooty soon I'll be a shout'n for joy, en I'll say, it's all on accounts o' Huck I's a free man, an I couldn't ever ben free ef it hadn' been for Huck; Huck done it. Jim won't ever forgit you, Huck; you's de bes' fren' Jim's ever had; en you's de only fren' ole Jim's got now'." (Clemens)

I really began to feel sorry for Jim. He is always on the look-out for Huck and his safety; although Jim escaping from his slavery. Huck likes to torment Jim. I can understand this as Huck is a young man on an adventure, but all Jim sees in Huck is a true friend. Why would he do such a thing?
Answer: Huck is escaping his terrible life from his father as Jim is escaping Miss Watson's grasp. Huck, more than likely, is not used to someone else caring for him as Jim does. Does Huck really care if Jim makes it, considering Jim is a slave, and Huck was being taken care of by Jim's master?
Answer: I feel that Huck is just immature. He is attempting to live vicariously through Tom Sawyer's. The beginning of the novel, Tom puts together this club which is lived through his vivid imagination. Huck, in my opinion, is really acting Tom's imagination out loud with his wild river adventure.
I have to say that I really like the fact that the novel navigates us, the reader, up and down the Mississippi River. I have seen the Mighty Mississippi River quite a few times, and it is really big. Although I am not an cartographer, I use my memory of the river to guess where the two are at during their wild escapade.

I will agree with you that I do feel sorry for Jim and sometimes Huck tormented him unnecessarily which is due to his immaturity. Twain had to create an immature character so he had room to grow. Also, I feel that this is not just a young kid on an adventure. It could be said that he, like Jim, is trying to flee from slavery, which is caused from the chains of society. This causes Huck to feel vulnerable. With that said, I feel that Huck has matured a lot, so this is where I will have to disagree slightly with your statement, "Huck, in my opinion, is really acting Tom's imagination out loud with his wild river adventure." This served to be true in the beginning of the novel, but as the novel progressed so did Huck as in individual. He started to feel real compassion and sympathy for people and I feel those were the driving forces behind his actions in the later parts of the novel. This is further proven when he does not approve of Tom's over the top plan to rescue Jim. I sensed a huge difference in character between Tom and Huck when they were reunited.