Direct Your Eye Inward

I really took a particular liking to the whole conclusion passage.  Many passages stood out to me so it was rather difficult to select just one. 

"Direct your eye right inward and you'll find A thousand regions in your mind Yet undiscovered. Travel them, and be Expert in home-cosmography " (1). 

Humans get so caught up in life we tend to neglect ourselves.  We are spending every waking moment getting to know not only people we meet but all other surroundings we are placed in, including nature itself.  After awhile we don't know who we are anymore; this is frightening and can lead to extreme confusion and even loneliness.   Thoreau further supports this throughout the passage following this quote.  "Yet some can be patriotic who have no self-respect, and sacrifice the greater to the less.  They love the soil which makes their graves, but have no sympathy with the spirit which may still animate their clay" (1).  I completely agree with all of the points in this passage.  I rarely take time to truly listen to my own thoughts.  Many people not only lose sight of who they are, they start to love everything and everyone around  more than the most important person; themselves.   

Jessica Pierce said:

I never really thought about it that way, Jess. You and Thoreau do have a point. I really don't listen to my own thoughts; I just do what is expected of me or required. It was really hard just to pick one passage!