The E chord

"When I feel that resononce, that "fat chord" that feels heavy yet sparkles with promise or portent, it almost always means the phrase, or whatever, is borrowed from somewhere else and promises special significance." (foster pg. 55).

I liked Foster's simple connection with the E chord because it gave me a better understanding on how to connect literary works.  I obviously know author's are inspired from other works and ultimately everything comes from everything.  The lessons we as humans are taught and many life experiences are "timeless" (56) so they appear in every generation of literature.  I recognize that, but I was concerned that being a pretty young and inexperienced reader I would never be able to make those specific connections Foster made throughout the chapters many times as I have not even heard of some of the examples given.  His comparison to the E chord gave me some hope.  When you sense that resonance you do not have to see it right away, you can search and find it.  Time is always an issue, but I do agree with Foster that it is worth searching for.  Upon finding it though I would want to look at it as a strenghtening factor to the modern piece and not as a means to take anything away from it.