Foster is Still Forcing Me To Grow as Reader

"Our interest is not in the deterioration of the old priest but in what his condition is telling us about him, about a boy, about the story at large..." (214).

Once again Foster forces me to rethink the way I have been reading and even watching movies.  This quote stood out to me because many times I WOULD be very interested in the deterioration of that priest or whatever character it was. I would be more interested in the actual deterioration than what the deterioration was trying to tell us as I always feel so emotionally connected to tragedy stories in books and movies. I feel so connected that I probably miss the symbolism and metaphorical message behind it.  I am not saying I want to totally lose my emotions and turn into a robot reader, as I feel it allows me to gain a lot from reading or viewing a film, but Foster's points opens up another door for me. I feel once I put these to use I can feel connected to not only the personal emotion but also the literary meanings. 

Sarah Durham said:

Jessica I have similar experiences with reading, getting so into the story that I totally miss the symbolism and the messages. Foster has certainly given us many incites to what the authors are trying to express. I too am hoping to feel some kind of connection to the literary meanings not only the emotions of the characters.

Jamie Grace said:

I just came across this blog and read it and feel the same exact way. I also get so into books that i don't pay attention to the details and symbolism of everything. I feel like most of Foster's book was written directly to me.