Twain's Irony and My sympathy

"There was a cross in the left boot-heel made with big nails, to keep off the devil" (172). "Oh let a poor Devil alone!" (181). 

I took interest in the irony of the first quote.  The tracks with the cross imprint were left from Huck's father.  This is a man who has so much hatred towards the world and his own son.  This is proven in the passages following this statement.  His actions do not seem to come from a man who would wear a cross on his boot to keep the evil spirit away.  But, then Mark Twain includes a passage where Huck's father is having a series of allusions, one where he actually tells the "tramps" to stay away him and he refers to himself as a devil.  I thought it was also interesting how "the devil" was used in the first quote but "a devil" was chosen for the second when referencing the father. 

"You wants to keep 'way fum de water as much as you kin.." (173). 

I thought this was another ironic statement Mark Twain included.  I am only ten chapters in and Huck Finn has hardly been away from water, but so far water has been pretty positive for Huck.  It was his means to freedom from his destructive father. 

"Yes-en I's rich now, come to look at it. I owns myself, en I's wuth eight hund'd dollars" (195). 

This statement stood out to me because I felt mixed emotions about it.  I felt joy for Jim because he was free now and it woke me up how freedom is worth all the riches in the world.  We do not even have to think twice about that these days.  A free man is a wealthy man.  The latter part of the quote made me feel sorrow for Jim.  He allows someone else to measure his worth of eight hundred dollars; little does he know a life of a human is worth much more, one could say it is priceless.  Back then, slaves were not looked at as human but as property. 

chapters 1-10 of huck