Immaturity at its best

Juliet, if you really loved me, you wouldn't want me to die. But you were more in love with death, 'cause death is easier than love.

--Goodnight Desdemona (Good morning Juliet) Act III, scene ix

I'm not sure I agree with Constance in this quote. Although Juliet did seem a little trigger-happy throughout the play, I get the feeling that it was more because she was young, immature, and naive. And, I don't think she was in love with death--I think that she, and Romeo were in love with the idea of being in love. MacDonald did a good job at making the two seem overly immature, but I really liked that she did that, because I never really liked Romeo and Juliet--I've always thought that their love was shallow and not real. I don't believe in love at first sight.

As for the homosexuality in this play, it really served more as a tool for MacDonald to further her point about Romeo and Juliet being immature and in love with love. I found the crossdressing to be pretty humorous, but after a while, it kind of got old.

One last note. I feel like MacDonald should have developed the fight between Mercutio and Tybalt a little further. As soon as Constantine appears and explains that Tybalt and Romeo are technically cousins through marriage, they give up the fight. I sincerely doubt that's how it really would have happened. We're talking about two warring families. Neither would've been very pleased to learn that the two lovebirds got hitched. It caught me off guard when Tybalt and Romeo embraced. I really felt like half of this act was really rushed. It doesn't take long for Constantine to convince them not to fight either. And, the first time we see Juliet, she is already regretting her decision to marry Romeo. What gives? It seemed really abrupt to me. This portion of the play really would've benefited from more development, don't ya think?