Life is stew?

Life is...
a harmony of polar opposites,
with gorgeous mixed-up places in between,
where inspiration steams up from a rich
Sargasso stew that's odd and flawed and full
of gems and worn-out boots and sunken ships--

--Goodnight Desdemona (Good morning Juliet) Act III, scene ix

Let me be perfectly honest here. I chose that quote because it was my favorite passage from the book. For those of you who don't know me very well, I'm all about living life to the fullest, and quite frankly, I'm still trying to figure out my life--but then again, I guess all college students are trying to figure out that one, huh?

I just really like the way MacDonald describes life in this passage. She really hit the nail on the head with this one. Life really is a "harmony of polar opposites"--the US alone is known as the great american melting pot. No two lives are ever exactly the same, everyone's life has some flaws, but that's what makes life worth celebrating. When you have a bad day, you really learn to appreciate your good days. MacDonald does an excellent job of expressing that when she says life is full of "gems and worn-out boots and sunken ships." I really don't have much more to say about it other than the passage really spoke to me.

Moving on to more pressing manners. I decided to write my two blogs about the second and third Acts, because those were really the meat and potatoes of the piece. However, I really couldn't find a quote that I really liked from Act II, so I'm just going to say my piece and move on to Act III in my other blog entry.

All I really have to say about Act II, other than I really enjoyed reading it, is that I had a much harder time understanding this half of the play compared to the Romeo and Juliet portion because I never read Othello. With Romeo and Juliet, it was easier for me to follow because I recognized the characters and the Shakespearean dialogue that MacDonald used. However, I don't want to say that I didn't understand Act II at all, because that would be a lie.

I really liked the dramatic irony in this act, when the audience knows that Iago is trying to pit Desdemona against Constance so that his plan will not be foiled anymore. It doesn't take much for Iago to convince Desdemona to no longer trust Constance. So, what does this say about Desdemona?--what about other women in Shakespearean plays? Are they all as gullible as Desdemona? And what about Othello? Towards the end of the third act, Constance argues that Desdemona acts exactly as Othello, and both are very gullible. Having said that, Macdonald did an excellent job mixing a modern-day character with Shakespeare's characters. I found myself chuckling a few times when they misunderstood Constance, such as when they claimed she was from Academe and such.

For more opinions on this play, click here