Loneliness is a two-way street

And lonely as it is that loneliness
Will be more lonely ere it will be less--
A blanker whiteness of benighted snow
With no expression, nothing to express.

--"Desert Places," Robert Frost

Frost's tone for this poem is lonely and depressing. The reader can literally feel the loneliness expressed, which shows empathy. Most people would feel quite alone in a deserted places, where not even an animal stirs in the wintry setting. Frost then moves on to say that he not only feels alone in this desert place, but in his own as well. This just goes to show that he cannot escape this ultimate feeling of loneliness and desertion. It's a great parallel to how people dealing with depression feel trapped. When I read this poem, I imagine being in the middle of snow-covered woods, surrounded by nothing else but white contrasted by random trees. It's a scary thought. I've never liked the woods anyway, because I'm afraid of getting lost--and because I watched the Blair Witch Project when I was way too young...but back to my point, this imagery allows readers to empathize with the speaker. I don't care who you are, everyone feels at least a little depressed every once in a while. 

The theme of this poem is actually an important lesson. You can't escape loneliness by staying in a remote place--you need to surround yourself in the presence of loved ones, or even strangers, in order to save yourself from utter dispair.

I love this poem. It really says a lot. I'm not saying that I'm depressed or anything, but I found myself easily empathizing with the speaker of this poem. One of my biggest fear is being alone--I hate it when I'm in my house by myself or even in public by myself. If I had it my way, I'd always surround myself with my friends. The more the merrier.

I love the woods. I never saw BWP though so I can't relate, but I did love how he set up the tone of this poem. Despite some (unnecessary?) repition (as Josie points out in her blog), his poetry still makes the right impact. When I read it, I could even imagine the whisper of wind through the trees, although that probably wasn't there because Frost describes the stillness of the forest.