It's all inter-connected...

Metaphors and similes are based in imagery, which is the means by which literature is made graphic and vivid....by using words that convey images the writer prompts us to recall memories of sights, sounds, tastes, smells, sensations, and visualization of motion. Metaphors and similes go beyond literal imagery to introduce perceptions and comparisons that can be unusual, unpredictable, and surprising...

--Roberts Ch. 9

I feel like I'm stuck in a time machine. Roberts just keeps going back to imagery in every chapter. I know that he's right, but at this point, it just feels a little redundant to me. I'm not criticizing Roberts, though, because it's the whole show vs. tell thing. But, I have just one question. Aren't similes "telling" instead of "showing?" Metaphors are much stronger in "showing." And yet, we still group the two together, because both compare something to an unrelated object.

I'm not saying that metaphors are better than similes. I'm just questioning why they are excused for "telling" instead of "showing."