Prosody Tutorial?

As a goal, you might try to determine whether and how the prosody of a poem may be used as an organizational element. In an Italian or Petrarchan sonnet, for example, the rhymes are important in tying together the development of ideas. In a Shakespearean sonnet there are three 4-line groups (quatrains), each containing the development of a particular idea or image or symbol, and the concluding two lines rhyme and at the same time create a "cap" or idea tying the previous ideas together.

Roberts, 199

First of all, not to be smart, but I honestly don't see myself writing an essay on the phonetics and graphics of a poem. However, I'm happy to say that I've actually learned something new. I never would've though to analyze a poem that thoroughly...but then again, that's probably because poetry isn't my favorite. Nevertheless, I thought this chapter was very helpful in breaking down prosody. A lot of this chapter was a review--especially the terms, such as alliteration and internal rhyme, etc. 

There was one thing that I really missed from this chapter...the Raise Questions to Discover Ideas. I guess there aren't many questions you can ask about the organization of a poem. It is what it is. And yet, that section has continued to be my favorite part of this book throughout.

Kayla Lesko said:

I wouldn't write an essay about a poem either. I'm not a big fan of poetry either, but it's slowly starting to grow on me.

Jessie Author Profile Page said:

It's growing on me too, but I don't know what it is about poetry that I just don't get. I have a much easier analyzing regular prose, but as soon as poetry hits me, I get confused. Maybe I just don't take enough time to analyze, you know?

I actually learned new things from this chapter like meter and caesura, but I still didn't see how to acutally write a full, debatable paper about it. I more learned how to use it or spot these aspects in a poem.

I feel the same way, Aja. It's good to know those things, but just stating their presence in a poem isn't debatable enough to be an actual paper.

Jessie Author Profile Page said:

I really admire people who take on the challenge of writing a longer essay about poetry. Even after reading this chapter, I don't feel confident enough to even try something like that. Obviously it's possible, but even with the additional knowledge I've obtained from this chapter, I still don't know whether or not I could produce a fully debatable paper.