EL336 Portfolio 2

So it's that time of the semester again, Portfolio time. We've come a really long way since the first portfolio, because we've visited so many other sections of communication. Below is a showcase of my work between the first portfiolio and now. Enjoy :-)

Coverage:
  • My Handwriting has a Personality all its own was my entry in response to Naiomi Baron's article in Writing Material concerning handwriting. Because I enjoyed this assigned text so much, I decided to partake in a handwriting personality profile test online and post my responses for my peers to view. The results were surprisingly accurate.
  • Monk's God-given Gift was an entry about Trithemius and his observations that writing was a gift from god for the monks in monestaries. I found connections back to some of my liberal arts courses that have nothing to do with english.
  • The Technological Catch-22 showed my agreement to our assigned text by Dennis Baron. I explained that modern technology is turning into a catch-22, because we need to learn to use the new technology (especially with computers), but at the same time, it's making some students lose out on some of their intelligence. My example, aside from spellcheck was the idea that kids forget basic math equations because they're so used to using a calculator.
  • The Printing Press' Effect on Money is an entry where I further analyze Eisenstein's points concerning the printing press and paper/coin money. It revolutionized counterfeit money, but also made it easier to carry around. I even touched briefly to hyperinflation in this entry.
  • Calvino's non-introduction Well, my copy of Calvino's book did not have the introduction that others did, so I blogged about the opening pages instead, as many of my peers did as well. I talk about my high expectations for books but also comment that my standards have dropped compared to what they used to be.
  • Throw the Book out the Window, I dare you is my blog entry on the first fifty pages of Calvino's book. I expressed some concern in this blog, because it kind of annoys me that Calvino thinks he knows how I'm thinking. I also found myself reflecting back to what we learned about errata earlier in the semester.
  • Lost in Translation is more comments on Calvino's book. In this particular entry, I question the necessity of a dictionary and argue its importance, using hieroglyphics as my prime example.
  • Preservation Please is my blog entry on Darnton chapter 8. This particular chapter really hits home for me, as I mention in the blog entry, because libraries are slowly digitizing a lot of their information, especially with newspapers. I mention my experience with keeping newspaper clips from my articles and I also touch on Fahrenheit 451 briefly.
  • Bibliographies Today was my entry on Darnton chapter 9. This was a weird blog entry for me, but I talked about the fact that I never realized how many different versions of Shakespeare's works are really out there.
  • Commonplace Books = Blogging? was my take on what Darnton explains to his readers as commonplace books. According to Darnton, we owe a lot to old authors who comprised books full of other authors quotes to further analyze them. In this entry, I pose the argument that our academic blogs are basically a modernized version of commonplace books.
  • iBooks vs text books was my response to chapter 1 of Aarseth's Cybertext. I discuss the difference between print and digital text. I provide a youtube clip that shows a demo of the iPad's new iBooks app, and also reflect back to my days in EL 236, Writing for the Internet.
  • 15-pager proposal is pretty self-explanatory.
  • Electronic Literature Makes Me Smile is a reflection of further analysis with the electronic literature collection. I love this stuff, and explained each of my experiences in depth. The RedRidingHood was my favorite this time around, but I also linked back to my blog from over a year ago on the same subject.
  • Hypertext Future is a response to Aarseth's stuff on hypertext, something I'm really interested in. In this entry, I, like Aarseth, try to prove that hypertext CAN be linear, despite what others seem to think.
  • The future of literature will rely on electronic literature This was one of the first times I really connected with what Aarseth is trying to say. He talks about interactive fiction in this chapter, and I link back to a previous blog that shows Dr. Jerz and his son working their way through an IF game.
  • Deadline exp. I ran into some issues while playing Deadline. I mentioned that I tried playing the game before I read Aarseth's chapter on it, so I had to go back and replay the game to really appreciate it. I also touched on the fact that patience and the ability to notice small details is really important in IF games and I think that's why I'm not always very successful in them.
  • Google Books will save the world is my response to Darnton Chapter 1, where he explains that Google Books is a corporate program that allows access to books that are not available to the general public, but at a cnost. I mention that this directly correlates with my research paper and comment that the future of our society will learn to rely on programs like Google Books.
  • Hypertext's like a play is pretty self-explanatory. I expanded on Aarseth's idea that hypertext resembles plays in that each experience is different from the last.

Depth:
Timeliness:
Calvino's non-introduction and Bibliographies Today were my two most timely blog entries. Both were posted over 24 hours before the due date.

Interaction:

Discussion:

Xenoblogging:
  • The Link Gracious~ Monk's God-given Gift: I linked to Megan's entry in my entry, because I agreed with her observations.
  • The Link Gracious~ Electronic Literature Makes Me Smile: This was a super link gracious :-)  I linked to Maddie's blog on this one, and also linked back to Aja's entry from our EL 236 class.

Wildcard:
  • iBooks vs text book shows my ability to synthesize information that I've learned outside of class as well as in past classes. I also provide a youtube video :-)