Microfilming again?

In the 1920s and 1930s microfilm had become popular as a storage medium for records, especially in banks, and all kinds of people were busily inventing microfilm equipment. Microfilming saved storage space and banks founds that microfilming cancelled checks was a useful measure against fraud.

--Emanuel Goldberg

The last time we talked about microfilming was in reference to libraries microfilming old newspapers as a means to keep more documentation once they ran out of room. Although I disagreed with the practice of destroying newspapers and books in order to make room for new ones, I was comforted by the idea that microfilming would keep them alive in at least one way. I'm still a fan of reading things on physical paper, but Goldberg introduced a pretty interesting idea when he mentioned that microfilming checks faught fraud. If you ask me, microfilming seems like a much safer process than making everything completely digital. From what I read,it seems like the memeux is very similar to a computer, in that it uses coding and similar coding at that to store things and also relate them to each other. Who woulda thought that Bush was actually on to something way back when?

It's really hard for my generation to remember what it was like before the internet made everything so readily available. Although I have to say, even though I prefer physical paper to digital media, if I had to choose between microfilm and digital, I'd go with digital. But I think that's mostly because of the era in which I grew up.

EL 336