October 2010 Archives

Lessons Learned

| No Comments
Welcome to my midterm porfolio for EL 405--New Media Projects. This portfolio serves as a way for me to not only showcase all of the work I've done this semester but to allow my peers to view and "play" with my projects. At this point in our semester, we have completed the introductory section of all three projects: Scratch, Inform 7 and Html Web App coding. 

Scratch

This program was developed by a team of students and professors at MIT. Ideally, it is used to educate youngsters to create simple games and other programs in a fun and interactive format. You use puzzle pieces. Our class learned this program as an alternate way of coding. It allowed us to be pretty creative. For my scratch project, I created a multi-level mouse maze for users to navigate through. In my final project, the game consisted of a tutorial level, plus three playable levels. I created more challenges for gamers by including "evil" sprites which ended the game when the user's sprite came in contact with them.

Here's the part where my blog's title comes into play. All semester, Dr. Jerz has been telling us to back up our work. And I have been--to an extent. I had some older versions of my project on the school computer but kept the final version on a flash drive...which I somehow managed to lose right before midterms. So, the version I've uploaded to the scratch website is functional and well programmed; however, the majority of the evil sprites I included in my revision are not there. I didn't have time to recode such a large portion of my game, but I plan to do so later this evening if not by the end of Friday.


Here are my previous blogs for this section.

Mouse! Scratch Portolio has screenshots from my finished version of the project...


Inform 7

This was not my first experience with Inform 7. For those unfamiliar, it's a program that allows its users to create text-adventure or interactive fiction games. For my project, I decided to create a murder mystery with multiple endings. My usability testing for this project was the most successful out of the other projects, because I have a tendency to overlook mistakes in my own writing (don't we all). Some of the more complicated coding I mastered in this project was creating something "under the bed" and also creating something "inside a drawer." For full details, please read my blog entries:


 

 
HTML

As our most recent project, we learned basic html coding with a twist--Dr. Jerz asked us to create some web apps. He suggested that if we didn't have a project in mind, we could create an online portfolio. But, my plan was much more ambitous. I decided to create a mock-version of a Setonian Online app, which we will later use for the actual website. Before I dove into the project, however, I took my time looking at other news apps so I could find a happy medium. Although I still have a ton of work to do to finish this project (it's going to be my final project as well). Please note that the site I've uploaded does not have all of its links active. Home, News, A&E and the Lucy Snyder story are the only pages active at the moment.


Blogs:



HTML Unit Portfolio

| No Comments
For our third unit in EL 405: New Media Projects, we were assigned with the task of creating a webpage in a web-app format. While many of my peers chose to create personal portfolio pages, I decided to take a little more initiative. Because of SHU's recent expansion, specifically involving technology, now is the time to create an app for our online version of our paper, the Setonian Online

In order to format our app, I took a look at several successful news apps and drew from each of their strengths. Initially, my plan was to create a different view for landscape vs. portrait orientation. However, at the time, I acknowledged that this was a rather ambitious goal, so for now I'm sticking strictly to a basic portrait orientation that will simply stretch to fit landscape orientation.

Even though I did not meet all of my goals and expectations for this project, I'm very proud of the work I managed to get done. With Dr. Jerz's template .css and .html coding for the ipad app-style, I was able to create a functional list for articles online. In fact, my actual product turned out very similar to the one I created as a mock version in photoshop. Little changes were made in order to simplify coding, but for the most part, the pages I finished in time for this deadline are very successful.

I'm most proud of my ability to use another user's code to create a horizontal navigation bar with virtually no help from Dr. Jerz. I also was able to create a feature or main story division at the top of each news page to draw in readers to the leading story. This too proved to be difficult in some ways, but I managed to create a format that is easy to read and comprehend.

Lastly, although the links are not active at the moment, I've set up some icons at the bottom of the page to share stories with friends via email, twitter and facebook. At this point, I simply used icons I found online, which are not sized exactly the same. In the future, I hope to make images that are more appropriately sized, and possibly include additional.

When we revisit this project in the coming weeks, I hope to create the landscape format that I mentioned in my proposal. I still acknowledge that it's rather ambitous, but I also feel that I'm up to the challenge--coding is frustrating, but fun for me.

So, without further delay, here's my page so far...Please note that not all of the pages are live at the moment--It's basically a skin for the bigger picture in the long run.  Setonian Online App


About this Archive

This page is an archive of entries from October 2010 listed from newest to oldest.

September 2010 is the previous archive.

November 2010 is the next archive.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.