Scratch Revision Portfolio

In EL 405, we worked diligently over the past few weeks to usability test and revise our scratch programs. My project, a maze entitled Mouse!, underwent significant improvements. 

In my usability test screen cast, you'll note that I implemented some new ways to encourage gamers to play through the full game. However, my first efforts were not as successful as I'd hoped. I filled the levels with random foods that the user could grab as he progressed through the mazes. However, because there were so many, and because they appeared so frequently, he didn't seem to eager to go out of his way to snatch some extra points. 

For my revision, I made some significant revisions to my original plan. I still wanted to include the fruit and other foods, because it encouraged players to travel to otherwise useless areas of the maze. This meant risking the chance that they might run into a bat, which ends the game with a loss. I also revised the number of fruit for each level. As you'll notice in my revision screencast, the player has the opportunity to pick up 3 bunches of bananas throughout the first level, 3 bananas and 3 cherries in the second, and 3 bananas, 3 cherries and 3 cookies. Each fruit appears after a set amount of time, and the second of each group only appears after the first has been captured.

A last fruit stands alone as a "special" reward in my game. During my usability tests, all of my users pointed out that they didn't like how difficult it was to see the bats on the dark background. Although I wanted this to remain the same, because it adds to the difficulty, I wanted to give them a reward for navigating through almost blindly. Thus, I created this green apple sprite, which changes the background color from black to white for about 30 seconds. In my eyes, it makes both parties happier. 

To increase the challenge of the game as players progress through the levels, I created some special bats, which I refer to as Rogue Bats. These bats are not on a set path like their brothers. Instead, their path relies on the player's movement. For example, if the player presses the down arrow, the bat's direction would rotate by 15 degrees, and he would continue on his path.

This bat does not appear until the second level, and by the third level, there are two wandering around, one larger and faster than the other. The only other major change I implemented in my revision was finally making the user's sprite navigate smoothly throughout the maze. In my usability tests from our first unit, my players kept getting stuck on walls. With some renovated code, I was able to fix this issue.

So, without further delay, please sample my revised game, Mouse!!