A Question of Greatness- Twain's "Luck"

"I said to myself, I am responsible to the country for this, and I must go along with him and protect the country against him as far as I can." (362)

As I was reading Twain's "Luck," I couldn't help but question the character of the Reverend. Some may argue that, since the story is primarily ABOUT Scoresby, that Scoresby is the main character. I disagree. I believe that the Reverend is the main character because he is the character in whom we can see the most tangible changes (through storytelling, of course).

The Reverend began as a teacher in a military school at which Scoresby attended. He informs us of how, out of "pity" (361) for the young boy's failures, the Reverend assists Scoresby in passing his examinations. Eventually, it seems as if the Revered becomes almost bitter about Scoresby's success. This leads me to believe that the Reverend's original intentions for helping Scoresby were only fueled by a premise of helping himself and himself alone...

You see- mostly everyone has his or her own personal intentions at heart. It's human nature. So, as a teacher, the Reverend may have wanted to gain success through the successes of his students. The fact that he's telling our narrator how much Scoresby is "an absolute fool" (360) indicates not bitterness or contempt, but that Reverend is a braggart attempting to prove his own greatness.

So, the question I have is this: Was the Reverend originally a Reverend? Or was this yet another attempt to prove his greatness?