If Wordsworth Had Written the Bible...

If I were a tree, then I would have loved to live during the time of Wordsworth and Yeats because I would have gotten plenty of attention in their poems. I'm not saying that I COMPLETELY disliked both of these poets. I'm simply sayign that they are not my favorite. Wordsworth is, well... Wordy. I can only compare this to reading those versions of the Bible that overcomplicate a simple phrase like "Jesus resides in heaven." If Wordsworth were to have written this phrase, he'd probably would say, "The savior of the world, whose holy blood cleans the hearts of those who turn away from him, sits now and forever and ever at the right hand of God teh Father in the home of eternal glory." I'm not saying that the Bible is poorly written (nor that Wordsworth is an awful writer). However, Wordsworth's poetry seemed to be a whole lot of mumbo jumbo, and I was too swamped with words to even think about the meaning.

On a more positive note, I really liked Wordsworth's "She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways" because it was short and beautifully written. It was also simple enough to understand. There's something to say about simplicity in poetry! Anyway, I took this poem to be about a woman who Wordsworth longed to know but never could. This woman probably died before he had a chance to meet her (Candle in the Wind, anyone?) This poem also saddened me because it speaks of someone who was unmourned (or perhaps forgotten) by any but Wordsworth.

Yeats, on the other hand, was a bit disturbing. I also found his poetry to be rather boring, but thought that "Adam's Curse" was lovely. In lines 20-26, Yeats says "It's certain there is no fine thing/ since Adam's fall but needs much laboring./ There have been lovers who thought love should be/ So much compounded of high courtesy/ that they would sign and quote with learned looks/ Precedents out of beautiful old books;/ Yet now it seems an idle trade enough."" It would be wonderful to sit around all day with one's lover and speak passages out of beautiful old books, but this cannot be. Men and women are now forced into a life of labor, and the more labor a person gives in the name of another, the more love that is shown. Could this be Adam's curse?

Ha! Your "If I were a tree" comment made me laugh. I agree, Wordsworth is not my favorite poet of all time either. Though, in his defense, I guess poetry is sometimes a little wordy. Not necessarily in a bad way; I think there are truths to express, emotions that come up, that require a lot of words. Something that goes beyond "there's a tree," and includes the emotions that tree provokes. That being said, it's possible to be wordy in a bad way in poetry too. If you feel like a poet is beating you over the head with something, that can definitely take the enjoyment out of a poem.
"She Dwelt Among Untrodden Ways" was my favorite Wordsworth poem, too! We should've just co-written an entry. lol.
Good insight on that Yeats poem. I really enjoyed reading your interpretation.

JessicaOrlowski Author Profile Page said:

Well, we technically can co-write a carousel entry, and we SHOULD plan one. I just really liked how, in "She Dwelt Among Untrodden Ways," Wordsworth used rhyme, but it was totally appropriate. At the same time, I wish I knew exactly what he meant in the poem, but that would take all of the fun out of interpreting it.

I suppose I was just being a little *cough* close minded. I kind of chided myself for this in my very first blog. Maybe I'll read the poem again. I just remember that, in Dr. Wendland's class, we read a Wordsworth poem, and it was short. It was also really popular. I can't think of the name of it, though. Do you remember what it was?

Was it "I wandered lonely as a cloud" perhaps?

Yes. That was it- which causes me to make an interesting connection to aforementioned "Adam's Curse." Maybe Adam's curse is to wander lonely as a cloud? lol now I'm just reaching.