Thoughts on Wood and Life

Thoreau - Walden (Ch13&18)

Chapter 13:
"It is remarkbale what a value is still put upon wood even in this age and in this new country, a value more permanent and universal than gold."

This statement still rings true in this day. Wood has been a valuable resource for many years. How strange. Anyway, I found it very hard to really read this chapter, because I couldn't find a theme for it. The previous two assigned chapters seemed to have a theme. But, I suppose Thoreau's point was to show the different elements that keep us alive. (Fire, wood, water) I found it interesting that he found company in his fire, referring to it as a houseguest. 

Chapter 18:
"The surface of the earth is soft and impressible by the feet of men; and so with the paths which the mind travels. How worn and dusty, then, must be the highways of the world, how deep the ruts of tradition and conformity!"

We live our lives by the impressions of others... True, to an extent. Thoreau sees tradition and conformity as tools of destruction of a human being--he values the truth, and nothing but. He also values perception, saying that its dullest form, common sense, should not be valued. "The commonest sense is the sense of men asleep, which they express by snoring." Ha ha. Honestly, there were so many interesting quotes to pick from in this chapter; it was hard to choose just one. This reading was kind of inspiring. I'm half tempted to go take a walk in nature and come to my own conclusions about life, if just for a half hour.

Taking a walk eh? I really want to sit outside and read this story again, but something tells me that the rain will not allow that. These stories are FILLED with inspirational passages, which is why i had a difficult time not only processing them, but picking just one!
A lot of the passages that caught my eye had to deal with being alone and how to handle that, whether you are a person who thrives on it or one who has found yourself in a situation you are unaccustomed to. I highly enjoyed this reading assignment.

Jessica Pierce said:

I enjoyed it too. It would be nice if we had some weather that would allow for this...

Jamie Grace said:

You are so right about the value of wood. Wonder if he thought that wood would be valuable still so many years after he wrote this. It shous nature gives us the most valuable materials!