"Nursing home" is a misnomer.

"A report issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in July 2000 found most nursing homes dangerously understaffed, especially profit-making nursing homes, such as the one where I worked. among the consequences of understaffing, according to the report, are increases in preventable problems like severe bedsores, malnutrition, dehydration, congestive heart failure, and infections. While I never saw a patient neglected or mistreated in the dining area where I worked at the Woodcrest, it would have been easy for an aide to make a life-threatening mistake, such a serving sugar-containing foods to a diabetic. I consider myself---and my patients---extremely fortunate that I did not inadvertently harm someone on this day when I fed the Alzheimer's ward by myself."
(Nickel and Dimed 105)

I have experienced nursing homes since 1999 when my grandmother whom I lived with had a stroke and spent the rest of her life in the care of nursing homes. I have seen her drenched in her own sweat, afflicted with unexplainable wounds which had trouble healing because of her diabetes (one of these wounds resulted in her leg being amputated), and various other things that caused my mother to raise a fit with staff members of the various nursing homes she stayed at. It was beyond me how she was treated like this when there was supposed to be a staff of people "caring" for her.

So she survived for eight years, lasting through more strokes taking away more physical and mental abilities, a leg amputation, and pneumonia which put her on a breathing machine for her final several years. The last home she was at had the most problems. My mother would visit her at this home, and there were repeated incidents where my grandmother was sweating, dehydrated, and the like, and my mother complained, and there were no results. She only lasted no more than 3 or 4 months there. Of course, it could just be a coincidence and that she just couldn't make it anymore, but what kind of place has a staff that tries to console a grieving daughter with,"It's okay, they tend to go in two's or three's here?"

I don't think the problem with nursing homes is just a lack of staff but a majority of improperly trained and neglectful staff members working in nursing homes.

Let's get away from this "nursing" home.