Punct Art.

"In this chapter I want to examine punctuation as an art. Naturally, therefore, this is where the colon and semicolon waltz in together, to a big cheer from all the writers in the audience."
(Eats, Shoots & Leaves p. 105)

When I learned what purpose the semicolon served, I started to use it more. I started to enjoy using it (I would have used a semicolon to join those last two sentences together, but doing so would be so incredibly cliche that I would have to punish myself). I think of punctuation as an art, and the way a writer uses punctuation really adds a ton of style. I enjoy reading older texts, like most of the text from my Philosophy course, because it has that dated style of overusing commas. I especially liked the Virginia Woolf example:

As for the other experiences, the solitary ones, which people go through alone, in their bedrooms, in their offices, walking the fields and the streets of London, he had them; had left home, a mere boy, because of his mother; she lied; because he came down to tea for the fiftieth time with his hands unwashed; because he could see no future for a poet in Stroud; and so, making a confidant of his little sister, had gone to London leaving an absurd note behind him, such as great men have written, and the world has read later when the story of their struggles has become famous.
-Virginia Woolf, Mrs Dalloway, 1925

I just overdosed on style.