On Second Thought...

I previously wrote an entry, A Bump in the Road, that questioned Spiegelman's choice to include a section in Maus that expressed concern about reader perception of Vladek.  My problem was that this section felt unnecessary and forced; it seemed awkward because it didn't fit the two narrative threads that the story was being told from (Vladek telling the story to Artie, and Vladkek actually living the story in the past).  However, I chose to gather information on Maus for my bibliography exercise, and found some articles that discussed tense in Maus.  After reading these, listening to class discussion, and reflecting further on the topic, I've changed my mind. 

I think the narrative perspective that shows Art's concerns with writing the story is very significant, as the graphic novel is Art's key to initiation into his family.  Though I haven't read the second book yet, I have heard enough about it to know that the consequences of publishing this book were not all positive for Spiegelman, and there are many ethical dilemmas surrounding the question of commercialism and the Holocaust.  Since the book is not only about the Holocaust, but also about the relationship between Artie and Vladek, and Artie's struggle to be accepted into his family, I feel that these sections I previously labeled as "awkward" and "unneccessary" actually tell a very important part of the story.