I am Death

"And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well / And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?" (Donne 11-12).

I believe this quote is very true and its sad that many people have considered it during their lifetime. For me, this quote translates into how people have the power to take their own lives and maybe go peacefully rather than wait for death to take them in an uncomfortable manner. There are constant news media surrounding suicide, and many people cheat death by taking themselves first. So what is the point of death if we can act in replacement of death. The last line of this sonnet addresses this question.

Kaitlin Monier said:

That is an interesting point of view. Maybe we are cheating death in a way that it does not have the power over us, but rather we have the power over it. If someone did take their own life, death would still come to meet him or her, but it would not be by death's own will.

Juliana Cox said:

That is very interesting. When I think of cheating death by taking our own life I think that death does not play a role any longer. I can definitely see your point though that death would still come to meet us.