MWW and Triffles

Mrs. Page: "Let's be revenged on him" (line 89)
Mrs. Ford: "I will consent to act any villainy against him that may sully the chairness of our honesty" (lines94-95).

I believe that the men in MWW underestimate the thought process women have, and the sneakyness they pocess. This is Mrs. Page and Mrs. Ford are similar to the women we find in "Triffles." In "Triffles" we have Mrs. Peters and Mrs. Hale whom outwit the men in hte story. The women end up covering up murder evidence and the men never expect it of the wome. The main piece of evidece is right in front of the men but the Sheriff laughs as he says, "Oh I guess they're not very dangerous things the ladies have picked up." Men in society at the time did not think women  were capable of harm and in MWW Falstaff shows the same similarities by giving both women the same letter thinking that they will not figure that out.

I think you've made a good point... the men in Trifles think they are in a quirky comedy, while the women know they are in a serious drama. It's worth pointing out, however, that Shakespeare was a man, so it's not entirely accurate to say men of this era don't think women capable of harm -- I think I recall Stephanie giving a shout out to her BFF Lady Macbeth. It *is* accurate to say that this play uses gender in unexpected ways. Falstaff is an egotistical pighead, and he's not alone. The women demonstrate their social power. (I wonder if Bernice Bobs Her Hair might also be a good comparison.)